30 November 2007

Christmas Blues

This is the time of year when stress levels reach all-time highs, and the accompanying anxieties and depressions come creeping in seemingly out of nowhere. I usually get depressed this time of year not only because of the expectations of the season, but also because of the added work load of gatherings and projects. Incidently, I shepherd a congregation that doesn't hold midweek Advent Services. Trinity, as far as I know, never has had Advent services. I've often thought about starting them, but I haven't. The congregation hasn't been clamoring for them so it's admittedly easier for me to just leave well enough alone. Rightly or wrongly, I do not conduct Advent services. As far as added work load is concerned, I don't envy the pastors who do. But I can guarantee you that I'm busy enough.

Anyway, there seems to be this underlying sentiment in our society that it's wrong to suffer from anxiety or depression. Television commercials reinforce this by the constant parade of depression sufferers who look like they are ruining their lives and causing their families irreparable heartache until, of course, they start taking the latest magic antidepressant pills after a consultation with the doctor who can prescribe them at the request of the poor suffering soul.

I'm not a therapist nor do I play one on TV, but I do believe that it's alright to be anxiety-ridden and depressive. Sufferers are not cursed. They are not pariahs. They are everyday folks like you and me who have been taught to believe that they are supposed to participate in life much better than they do presently. Any theology of glory will tell you that you are supposed to be hap-hap-happy all the time... "And here's how!" It's time to tune these "enjoying everyday life" people out.

If you're depressed, then be depressed until you're not anymore. You're not ruining anything. If you're chronically depressed, or have suicidal thoughts, then make an appointment to see your doctor. But please know this: you are very good at living life speaking from a strictly human point of view and tv commercials cannot change that essential truth. But your depression can serve to remind you that your life is not your own. You belong to your Heavenly Father who wonderfully knit you together, and to your Lord Jesus who died and rose from the dead to give you his life, and to the Holy Spirit who calls, gathers, and enlightenes you through the Gospel of grace and forgiveness and made you a member of the body of Christ.

I don't make any guarantees. I can't promise you that knowing this will rid you of depression. But I can tell you that as surely as Christ lives forever, you are a participant in a sacramental reality that the everyday hectic and hurried world can't possibly give you nor can it touch-- a true righteousness that is not of yourself, but rather a gift from God.

1 comment:

Kevin Beck said...

Hi Doug,
This is a great post,. Very assuring, hopeful, and hopeful. People with depression is not broken and in need of fixing. They are loved simply for who they are.

Thanks for the reminder.