19 February 2009

Musical Interlude

This video features a neo-progressive band from England called IQ. I'm a fan of progressive rock because the musicians actually play their instruments. The drummer doesn't merely keep a beat, the guitarist isn't reduced to three chords, the bassist doesn't engage in chord-hopping, the keyboardist varies the sounds, and the lyrics are deep and meaningful. It's a sound that we don't hear much, but some well-known progressive bands are Rush, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, and Dream Theater-- and they're all great!

With that introduction I present for your viewing and listening pleasure, IQ and their song "The Wake".

4 comments:

Chris said...

Doug, I believe we've had the Pink Floyd talk.

Doug Hoag said...

Oh yeah, we did! I like them, but I think they're overplayed and I'm tired of them actually.

Omar Giovannetti said...

That's awesome Doug, I'm a huge progressive rock fan, got a big collection. Have you listened to Neal Morse (former Spock's Beard singer now Christian Progressive Rock artist)?

Check out my blog http://omarsjabberwocky.blogspot.com

From time to time I post my iPod playlists and links to information about the artists I listen to.

Doug Hoag said...

Omar,

I've heard some Spock's Beard, but I didn't know the singer became a Christian artist. That's news to me-- I'll give him a listen! Thanks!!