23 October 2007

Small Groups

Tell me what you think of establishing a small group structure in a church. I know there are arguments pro and con. Although I'm mostly for small group structures, I'd like to hear what you think about them. But first I'll tell you why I'm for them.

I see small groups as a way of extending Christian care and kindness to people who are already members of the church, as a way of helping new members get acquainted with the congregation, and as a way of bringing people to the church. I'm aware of the danger of small groups turning into "cabals", which is why I believe small groups should have a definite structure and purpose to them. I don't believe in "freewheeling" small groups, doing whatever "churchy" things they desire. But I do think that small groups can be a way of unifying a congregation if the structure is conducive to such unity. I also believe that small groups should be structured to multiply naturally. Breaking up is hard to do, even for small groups. But small groups don't have to "break up" necessarily. Small groups can "birth" other small groups while remaining intact themselves. It's almost like a pyramid scheme, except no money is exchanged, and circles of friends can be widened for those who desire such a big circle of friends.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Chris said...

I'm intrigued by the use of small groups. I think they would actually work very in your context. The danger, of course, is to simply become a congregation of various small groups.

Also, each group should not consider itself a "ministry." Yes, they can be specific, but you run the risk of degenerating into the "Men's BBQ ministry" or other such groups. Thiungs like that can be helpful, but at the congregation as a whole level, not the small-group level.

Admittedly, I haven't worked much with them. But, like I said, I think they'd work quite well in your context. Also, I'd like to ry my hand at them. (Hint, Hint!)