11 December 2007

The Hammer of God

I've just finished reading a book that I read back in my seminary days called The Hammer of God by Bo Giertz, a Lutheran bishop in Sweden. The book really didn't mean too much to me during my days at the sem. It's a novel about the heart of pastoral ministry. While it was an interesting story I didn't find it very helpful in learning how to be a pastor. That was then.

I happened to run across this book as I was sifting through some old boxes in my basement. I had forgotten the storyline so I thought it would perhaps be meet, right, and salutary to give it another read. I am so glad that I took the time!

I'll spare you the details of the story, but I will say that this novel is best read after one has been in the ministry for a few years. It's a good exercise in reorienting the trajectory and purpose of one's ministry, as it has now done for me.

The purpose of pastoral ministry is the proclamation of Christ. It's that simple. And it's that difficult. Simple, because Christ has equipped his Church with everything it needs in very earthy, concrete forms-- Scripture, water, bread, wine. All a pastor is called to do is implement these tools of the trade, these means and channels of God's grace. Difficult, because society prizes creativity and innovation. People want an "experience" of God apart from God's chosen means. And so, many look to their pastor for a spiritual high and warm, fuzzy feelings. There is the great temptation for pastors to adopt models of ministry that are based more on therapeutic processes and experiential spirituality. The focus is then turned onto the individual and his/her experiences rather than on the proclamation of Christ. It becomes all about pleasing the spiritual customer.

I will confess my forays into trying to adopt creative models for ministry. I've dabbled in church growth techniques, contemporary worship (whatever that means), and trying to be a superstar to the applause and accolades of the masses, or of those who came to church to hear me.

But now, as it was for the main character in The Hammer of God, a new day has dawned for me. I don't know where it will take me, but it really doesn't matter. What matters is that I proclaim Christ and the new creation, sticking with the Word of God, and being an instrument through which Christ hands out salvation, life, and forgiveness.

No comments: