25 January 2008

Wrong

Did you know that it's okay to be wrong? I know being wrong doesn't feel very good, but it also presents an opportunity to learn something. It's said that we learn from our mistakes, but I think we learn more from correcting our mistakes.

Not one person in this world can be right all of the time. It's impossible. We are not able to think beyond our capacity. But that doesn't mean we can't learn and grow in what was learned and/or discovered. It's too much pressure to have to be right all of the time.

And if someone should point out that you were incorrect in something, it's not a disaster. Be wrong! I occasionally receive disagreements from something I preached or said or did (or didn't do). I used to take such disagreements personally, as if they were attacks on my character. They may or may not have been. But it really doesn't matter because I don't truly know the motive behind the disagreement and it makes no sense to try to guess.

So, here's what I've learned to do when someone disagrees with me:
1) Listen to what the person is saying beyond just the words. He/she just may have your well-being in mind.
2) Don't assume that the person is attacking. It might come off that way, but assumptions are more often unrealistic than they are spot on.
3) Consider that the critic just might be right. It takes great humility to do this.
4) Don't jump right into solving the disagreement. Study the issue with the person. You may just start to build some comraderie. And take your time! Rome wasn't built in a day.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very good at this. I guess that means I'm hypocritical. But it's even okay to be hypocritical as well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doug - good advice that I'm going to strive to apply - thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Rob