06 May 2009

Man, Myth, and Magic

Are we not men? We are Devo!

Well, actually we are men (and women). How silly of me to think otherwise!!

It has been said that oftentimes myth is truer than truth. This has resonance for me because I have obtained truth primarily through logic and linear thinking; lists and bullet points. That is the bane and blessing of my western heritage.

There really isn't anything logical about myth. It's full of surprises-- a turn here and a twist there. But it expresses underlying "truth" about the human condition and ways to live more humanly (and humanely).

Perhaps what is needed today is for us to mythologize our lives. This takes an informed imagination, of which I have very little. But the case can be made that this is one of the best ways to care for our souls. Life today lacks magic. Existence is so humdrum and boring for so many. With a little bit of imagination and insight, we can reframe our lives so that our life experiences won't seem so drab or horrendous. Even the most horrific events of our lives can be assimilated into our being creatively, lifting us toward wholeness.

So, this is my new project-- mythologizing my life. Face it-- all of us have had experiences in the past that were unpleasant or truly scandalous. Perhaps these events can be baptized and transformed into a journey of sorts. I have no idea what this will look like, but I hope to share insights with you as I gain them.

We might discover that we are Devo after all!!

P.S.-- I believe this can be done Biblically, lest you think I'm turning into a New Age whack-job.

1 comment:

Elizabeth N said...

I'm slowly chcking out some of FB friend's blogs & LOVE your perspective:) I always love talking to church workers who aren't the cookie cutter type some in the LCMS would like them to be. Do those people shake things up a bit? I think that's God's calling to those who march to that different beat!