14 May 2009

Reality Blows (I mean...Shows)

If I have to watch the daily lives of other people on my TV screen, then I know that my life is over. You might not feel that way, and that's fine. I just have trouble figuring out why people are so fascinated with the lives of other people. I wonder if these viewers are missing something in their own lives that they have to watch someone else live life in front of a camera.

Take, for instance, Jon and Kate Plus Eight. I'm well aware that I might ruffle some feathers here, but it seems that everyone I talk to loves, and I mean, LOVES this show. And I don't get it. I can't see what the appeal is. I'm sure the Gosselins are nice people and are subject to the everyday stress and strains of raising a family (along with the added load of celebrity status, which, it appears, has put a strain on their marriage). But I don't understand why this is a "can't miss" show for so many. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. When I watch any of these reality shows I feel like I'm watching something I don't have to see, or perhaps shouldn't see. The term we have for this is voyeurism. We've become a nation of Peeping Toms, aided by fatcat TV producers, and we're shocked when it happens for real.

So, help me out here. If you are a big fan of any reality TV show, why? What is so appealing that you have to tune in religiously (now there's an interesting term)? And if you say it's because (in the case of Jon and Kate Plus Eight) the kids are so cute, I would advise you to look at your own kids, or kids you see everyday, and see the cuteness in them instead of having to see it piped into your television.

2 comments:

Elizabeth N said...

OK, love the show. I do love the kids & their personalities. I love watching kids grow & change; this gives that without my having to do all the parenting work:) Now, mind you I teach 1st grade, so I'm in the business of observing & delighting in children, their insights and challenges every second of everyday! I also teach parenting classes & read parenting books obsessivly because my student's parents are looking to me for strategies to help with their family's challenges. I guess I'm always having to discern with the families I work with what may be going on in the family dynamic that is affecting the child; for better or worst. It's part of dianosing & preparing strategies to help the family. The show is a peek into one family's challenges; I am speaking of seasons past when the show was less orchestrated. Currently the show has become a lot of product placement and has lost it's initial charm.

Doug Hoag said...

I've finally received a reasonable answer! You watch for good and noble reasons. Thank you!