07 June 2009

Blown Away

I've taught for years that Jesus blew away his contemporaries with what he taught and did. His Kingdom is certainly an upside-down one and it rocked the world of those who were within earshot of Jesus' activities. I still think this is true, and even as recently as today I preached that Jesus shocked and amazed the people with whom he came into contact. Today's example was Nicodemus.

After worship today I was struck with a thought that crossed my mind. It went something like this:

Jesus blew away his contemporaries. So what? Does he blow us away?

And that, my friends, is the big question. What good does it do to know that Jesus shocked people in the 1st century? As far as I can tell, not much. Does he shock people in the 21st century? Ponder that one for a few moments, and do it honestly.

What we lack today in Christendom is the element of surprise. Twenty centuries removed, we are a people who know how the Biblical stories end. In one of Jesus' most beloved parables we already know that the prodigal son returns to his father and is accepted. Can you imagine how this story fell on the ears of the original audience. Surprise!! How does it fall on our ears?

"Ho hum."

"I already knew that."

"Hmm...is it time for lunch yet."

As I can tell there are only two solutions to this. One is to dismantle the system we've built piece by piece. The other is to tell a different story, a story that amazes and surprises people. One that fills people with awe and wonder, taking what I would call "universal knowledge" and sacrelizing it. God continues to reveal truth to our world. He didn't quit with the writing and compilation of the Bible.

What do you think? I'd really like to know your thoughts!!

3 comments:

Kim B said...

I think you are right - we know the endings to the stories so the ability to surprise us THERE is gone, but I continue to be surprised and, yes, blown away, by things in the Bible. It is as relevant to us in the 21st century as it was to those in the 1st. The problem, as I see it, is very few are taking the time to MAKE it relevant. Taking your example of the prodigal son: we all know how it ends, and, depending on where we are in our life, have probably thought of ourselves as one of the main characters. BUT until YOU explained the cultural significance that went WITH that story, it was a nice, cautionary tale. After YOU explained it, I was BLOWN AWAY. I think cultural relevance has a whole lot to do with making the Bible surprising and blowing people away. Delivering it? No idea. My guess would be the Holy Spirit's purview.

Anonymous said...

Just recently I have been blown away by the fact that I am receiving Jesus' true body and blood at his alter. If I could do it without being institutionalized l would fall on my face before the physical presence of my Lord.

Doug Hoag said...

Awesome! That's what I like hearing!!