19 June 2007

Bible Application

Why is it that many people insist that the Bible has to "apply to my everyday life" or else it's not worth the time? I hear this unending refrain from churches, that they want to help you apply the Bible to your everyday life ad nauseum. It's starting to sound more and more like a bunch of sales gimmicks. And judging by the audiences being attracted by the likes of Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, and Paula White, people are buying. Me thinks the masses have been had.

I mean, face it-- who wants to hear about a dead guy who came back to life two thousand years ago? How dull! Hardly worth getting up out of bed. Give me a "how to" list and I'll listen. It has to apply to my life.

Why? Isn't this just an example of hubris? What if the Bible has no application to everyday life whatsoever? What's so bad about that? Are we so insecure that we need to get life advice from the church? I'd love to put a huge sign out in front of my church:

THE BIBLE HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH YOUR EVERYDAY LIFE! ANYONE WHO SAYS THAT IT DOES IS FEEDING YOU A LINE OF CRAP!!

I don't want to worship a God who just wants to boss me around with "to do" lists and bird dog me all day long. I want to worship a God who surrounds me with grace and reminds me of what God has done to bring freedom from the various yokes of evangelical slavery that is so prevalent today.

Look, the Bible is an ancient book written to an ancient audience that lived on the other side of the planet. Many of the situations faced by the Biblical writers don't exist in 21st century U.S. and A. We are in a completely different time in a completely different culture. When we try to make direct application we become cloaked in very silly anachronisms. Why can't we just say that and be done with it?

Personally, I don't find the Bible to be applicable. I find it to be edifying and complete. I can read Scripture and reflect on what those ancient people went through and how they understood their interactions with God without having to look for ways to enslave myself with miserable principles and rules. I feel that I should let the Bible tell its own story on its own merits without me foisting my insecurities onto its pages.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Consider the words of Dennis Miller:

"The Bible is duller than operating instructions for a hinge until the snake shows up."

For what that's worth.

Listig said...

People who want "application" really want laws, they want God to be whispering over their shoulder all the time saying "Simon says... buy this or that mutual fund" etc.

Its much harder to wrestle with ambiguities such as "who is my neighbor whom I am to love?" but that's the calling/stand/vocation of all who follow the Way.