13 June 2007

Religiosity

This might sound a bit odd coming from someone who makes a living off of religion, but the more I think about this the more I'm convinced that religion, any religion, is not necessary. I have no doubts that religion has done much good in the world. I have no doubts that religion has been a fuel for some of the most horrific scenes of the human drama. I don't see the existence of religion as an issue of good or bad. I question the necessity of having a religion at all.

It could be argued that religion is necessary insofar as it serves as a moral compass for people. That may or may not be true, but most expressions of religion have bogged themselves down in this area through behavior modification and judgmentalism.

Then there's the battle over which religion is "right". Christianity? Islam? Judaism? Buddhism? Hinduism? Shinto? Baha'i? Who's got it right? Each individually would say "we" are right and everyone else is wrong. Christianity is especially good at this, as it has always made that claim. Islam does the same thing. Then along come the atheists who say that none of them are right because there is no god. On the other end of the spectrum are the Universalist Unitarians who say that all of them are right and serve as different pathways to god. Frankly, I think all of these groups are trying to bounce billiard balls.

It doesn't make much difference to me who's right or how many. My question is, "Are they necessary vehicles for God to interact with humanity?" Is it true that God needs a religious system to reveal Himself? IMO, religion has only served as a vehicle for humanity to interact with God. And perhaps humanity may perceive a need for that vehicle, as it gives people a sense of meaning and purpose. But perception doesn't equate with necessity.

I know this will never happen, but what would result if every religious organization in the world decided to shut down and liquidate their assets? I know that I would end up seeking employment elsewhere. But would people all of a sudden become lost? They might be sad or angry, but that doesn't mean they are lost. Can I be completely honest here? It would not bother me one bit if every church, synagogue, mosque, diocese, headquarters, temple, meditation center, sangha, etc., etc., all of a sudden closed their doors.

I believe in God. I believe that God was revealed ultimately in the person of Jesus of Nazareth as recorded in the Bible. I even believe that God uses Word and Sacrament to interact with us. But does this mean that I'm therefore obligated to belong to a religious organization, like a church? The argument could be made that a church with ordained clergy is the only place one would have any exposure to Word and Sacrament ministry, and so is therefore necessary. But necessary for what? For salvation? If that's the case, then Word and Sacrament become legalistic requirements instead of signs which point us to God's Kingdom. They were never intended to be used as barriers between humanity and God.

Thoughts on this?

8 comments:

GWD said...

With your permission I would like to excerpt from this, re-posting on my blog Baha'i Views, and link.

Doug Hoag said...

Permission granted, George! Could you let me know when you've finished your post? Much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Doug. I have just re-posted.

Listig said...

Wow, the more I read, the more I love your blog. How did you get out of "the Fort" alive?

I always previously believed that ordained clergy were necessary, and thus a means by which they could be ordained and called and trained, based primarily on the "whose ever sins you retain..." passage. But you make good points that it makes things which are gift and gospel into a law if they are "required." ... It also makes God come out looking incredibly sloppy, us incredible putzes, or some combination of the two, if a specific ecclesiastical structure were necessary for the gift of salvation to be conveyed to God's people.

Boy, the more you think about it, the more wrong it gets. Jesus' agonizing death and Holy Blood weren't enough, we need to have our bylaws done right too... how small does that make us that it is indeed the case that we act and live this way...

Listig said...

Oh, forgot to say yesterday, but jcaho (the quasi-governmental body which certifies health care agencies and sets standards of care) does consider "religiosity" if you will to be vital. Trauma rooms are not given certification if there is not a dedicated spiritual care resource. Other agencies have base benchmarks they are required to meet. Their studies show that "the power of prayer" does indeed exceed the placebo effect, regardless of the object or recipient of the prayer.

Doug Hoag said...

How did I get out of Ft. Wayne? I didn't talk much because I was naive enough to go along with much of what was being said. Not everything, mind you. I couldn't swallow the misogyny and I made that known. Fortunately for me we had a wonderful director of placement at the time who agreed wholeheartely with my views on the service of women in the church. My views have changed since then...I've become even more lenient toward the service of women in the church.

Kevin Beck said...

Doug,
Try this out...

Religion : Good in the world
Mussolini : Trains run on time

Listig said...

Ahhhh, that explains it, thanks! Heheheh, I thought you had incriminating photos or something.

Its so stupid and ironic... my wife was looking to provide a far better exegetical ground for a male-only ordained pastorate than the order of creation smoke and mirrors generally used.

But as for all other things, why not? It even talks about women prophesying in church, so long as their heads are covered. So maybe... no... I'm not sure I'm quite evil enough to suggest... heheh.

As I said before, pity you aren't within "L" reach!