20 June 2007

A Wonderful Quote

There was a quote from the movie Bridge to Terebithia that was so moving for me that I haven't forgotten it. I don't remember the names of the characters, but 3 kids were riding in the back of a pickup truck, and they were talking about the Bible on their way home from church. One of the girls said that she doesn't believe in hell because she couldn't fathom that God had the time to worry about that when he had to take care of the rest of creation. The other girl, a churchgoing Christian, was quite aghast and said she believes in hell because it's in the Bible, but she's scared of the possibility of going to such a place. The first girl then said something I will never forget:

You believe the Bible because you have to, and you hate it. I don't have to believe in the Bible, and I think it (the Bible) is wonderful!

What a great line!! And no wonder there are so many lapsed or completely delinquent Christians, while the rest of humanity avoids Christianity like the Black Plague. The Bible has been presented as something that is to be believed unconditionally under penalty of eternal, everlasting torment. Suffer now, or suffer later. Other times, the Bible is seen as a book of rules for good behavior. These are the impressions we Christians give.

I love the Bible! It's Good News and should be presented that way. I don't think it was written to be despised. But the way the Bible is presented leaves many people with no choice. They hate it, and leave it on their bookshelves to collect dust.

3 comments:

Listig said...

OK, you might be getting tired of my "a-mens" so I'll say "jawohl!"

Reminds me of my favorite former Valpo, emeritus StL prof's "tag line" "GIFT, its all GIFT!" (If you don't know who that is... #1) I'd be amazed, but #2, C.A. doubtless does!)

jim said...

That was an awesome movie! My wife and I took our kids (ages 4 and 8) to it a while back and quess what we talked about on the way home from the theater... hell. I was so thankful that our kids identified with the girl that didn't have to believe in the Bible and yet still think that it is wonderfull... that God is wonderful!

Your right, it was not written to be dispised.

Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Doug-
With your permission,I would like to borrow the parargraph about"Bridge to Terabithia" and the quote. Excellent post!