09 September 2008

Get Right

People have told me that they need to get right with God, and it doesn't register with me, in the sense that I can't tell them how to accomplish what they've set out to do. I know what they mean, however. It's an angst that is expressed in a seeming distance from God. And so these poor people pray more, work harder, fret and fear, lose sleep, lose appetite, and have nervous breakdowns.

I just don't think God should be a source of anxiety for people. But it happens. And I don't believe for a moment that God is responsible for it. I think it comes from people treating God as a codependent. "I can't let God down," is often spoken by these benighted souls.

Is is possible to "let God down"? It just doesn't seem like it can be accomplished. The attempt to avoid this more often than not results in freak-outs.

Reconciliation is what God does through Christ. So leave the "getting right" to God (which has already been done) and stop fretting over something that can't be done by you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor: I totally agree with alot of what you're saying. I believe that there is no greater accomplishment or deed we can do for God that He hasn't already done for us. My difficulty lies in understanding how God views really great humanitarians like Mother Teresa and others like her who devote their lives to helping others all in the name of God; and some schlep who "finds" God when he's on his deathbed? Am I correct in my understanding that as long as you accept Christ as your Saviour you'll be accepted into the kingdom of heaven (no matter how great your life's accomplishments were or no matter how immoral or sadistic a life you led)? I guess I'm asking whether there are repercussions for people who led unholy and treacherous lives their whole life before "finding" God? Shouldn't those people be fretting about their lives because they haven't done squat with it? Does that leave it wide open for schleps to do whatever and still receive the same that a righteous person would get in the kingdom of heaven?

Just curious. I seem to have an inner struggle with that. :)