09 July 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different

Speaking of worldviews, just what exactly is a Biblical worldview and is it possible to have such a worldview? Keeping in mind that the Bible was written at a different time, in a different culture, in different languages, and with a different cosmology, I have my doubts.

We've been told that in order to fully understand Scripture one must learn to think like an ancient Jew and obtain a Jewish mindset and worldview. I completely agree. But I don't believe it's possible. To try to internalize a different and ancient worldview so that it becomes our own is like trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. However...

We can study the Biblical worldview. We can learn from such a study and apply it to Biblical interpretation. This is good and necessary to do. But to take on a Biblical worldview (whatever that means) as my own is impossible. The life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus were interpreted through the lenses of a worldview and a story that was Jewish through and through. At the end of the day, I'm still going to view the world like a 21st century American. And so will you. We operate based on a completely different "Scripture", if you will.

Whatever that "Scripture" is needs to be cracked open and examined (in good old westernized fashion). This is what St. Paul did at the Areopagus in Acts 17. He broke open their "Scriptures", which turned out to be Greek and Cretan poetry. He then used them to proclaim the resurrection of Christ.

What would be examples of today's "Scriptures", and how can they be used to proclaim Christ? What would this do to our preaching?

3 comments:

Chris said...

I turn frequently to American cinema. Movies have such great preaching potential. They are our "modern Scriptures." But even they seem to be waning. It looks liek YouTube and the Internet are goin to be the next "scriptures." But I could be wrong.

Doug Hoag said...

I think they already are, but even those will become antiquated soon. But they are what they are right now, so that's what we work with. Technology in general is going to reach unprecedented heights and will keep going up from there.

Pastor Eric said...

Today's "scriptures" -- I know of some churches that are hiring people whose ministry is online ministry; relating to kids through Facebook and MySpace. I see those two formats as "scripture" for kids. Text messaging is another along with video games.

I like what you said about biblical interpretation...we need to have a 21st century mindset (without ignoring completely the original Jewish mindset). Thank you for the post.

Also...congratulations on your award. I found your blog through my friend, David at Here I Stand