17 October 2006

Are You Ready?

I've always been annoyed by rock bands that ask the crowd, "Are you ready?" What a dumb question! Of course they're ready. That's why they're there!! Oh well.

Sometime I'd like to hear someone stand up and yell, "No, I'm not! I didn't come here for this! I came here for the roundtable discussion on the environment and third-world debt!"

Actually, I'll bet that not everyone is ready when the band is. How about that guy in the upper tier who's upchucking the hot dog and beer he got from the concession stand? He's probably not ready. And those women in the line for the restroom? You know-- the line that goes 2 1/2 times around the arena? Not even close to being ready.

So, perhaps these rock bands should stop acting like they're worried about everyone else's readiness and just play.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Wow Doug, you have a lot of time to think.

Doug Hoag said...

Nah! I've just been to enough concerts to have observed these things. A lot of people aren't ready, and the band plays whether everyone's ready or not, so why ask?

Chris Ledgerwood said...

I tried that once at a coffeshop gig. I said are you ready to alternative, singer/songwriter, soft acoustic rock? Somehow it didn't come off as cool as I expected it to. Oh well, I'll no better next time!

Kevin Beck said...

Wow. I wasn't ready for that!