15 October 2006

More Prodigal Thoughts

I began to wonder if the Parable of the Prodigal Son was a parable Jesus told about himself. This line of thinking is beginning to make more sense the more I think about it. Jesus would be considered a prodigal to his own people, especially the religious leaders. Jesus was dead and is now alive. He was lost by crucifixion, but found in resurrection. He presented himself before his Father and was restored in glory and honor, and of course the legalistic Pharisees aren't going to be exactly thrilled that Jesus' way would ultimately be vindicated.

There are also echoes of the Jacob/Esau story in this parable. That will be another path to examine.

I'll write more about all of this as soon as I think it through more and sort things out, but if anyone has any thoughts along the way feel free to add or subtract from any of my above brain drizzles.

3 comments:

Chris Ledgerwood said...

Well, I never seen it that way. But, I guess it could apply. Still, it is a bit of a stretch for my mind. I see the prodigal as rebelling against his father. I don't see that in Jesus' life. But, that is just my two cents.

Doug Hoag said...

It could be that Jesus rebelled against the 1st century version of the Father, and he's telling about that in parabolic form. And in the end it turns out that the Father is different than 1st century expectations-- he accepts and vindicates the rebel.

Chris Ledgerwood said...

Yea, I guess. That's the cool thing about Jesus' parables they make you think.