09 September 2006

All of God

Kevin had some interesting thoughts on his blog and he used a phrase "all of God". That blew me away because I've never thought in those terms before. I cannot begin to think what "all of God" means. How can there be "all" of endless infinity? The word "all" doesn't really cover it, but it's still the best word that can be used to describe the presence of God. Since God is "all in all", there must be a way to depict this with imagery, and I'd like to offer one that I find helpful.

I think of God's presence as an Infinite Ocean, and myself as a fish in that ocean. To the fish, there is nothing but the ocean water in which it swims, breathes, and lives. The fish is surrounded by the water, but not smothered. The water passes into its mouth and out its gills. The fish is not the water, but is one with the water. The fish maintains its identity and otherness, just as the water does.

Some of you may have heard the term panentheism, which means "all in God". It's a good term to use, but I don't know enough about it to make it part of my everyday vocabulary. I know Kevin has proposed the use of the word agapetheism, so perhaps we can combine the terms. Agapanentheism? Panagapentheism? What word can be used to communicate "all of God is love"?

I'll continue to struggle with language to describe the reality of God.

2 comments:

Chris Ledgerwood said...

Can we really use our meager language to describe God?

Doug Hoag said...

I don't think so. Our language is so limited and fickle. Plus, one word means different things to different people.