10 September 2006

Something I'm Tired Of

I'm getting tired of letters in the editorial section of the newspaper that contain the following:

"As a (fill in the blank), I (fill in the blank)..."

For example:
"As a former school superintendent, I'm very concerned about the condition of our schools."

What kind of grandiose crap is this? Must I be a former school superintendent to be concerned about the condition of our schools? Only former school superintendents have the capacity for such concern?

I see at least two letters every day that contain similar phrasing.

I know it's a losing battle, but I consider such twaddle to be grandstanding.

3 comments:

CKG said...

As a fellow blogger, I must say I like your new blog. Keep up the good work

Doug Hoag said...

Hey Christian! Good to hear from you again! Hahaha...just don't write like that to the Des Moines Register, or I just may have to come out there and pay you a visit! (just kidding)

Kevin Beck said...

As a dumb ass, I think you are on to something.
:)