27 September 2006

Answering my own question (thanks Chris!)

So, how do we feed Jesus' lambs today? Seeing that lambs were sacrificed in Jesus' day out of mutual self-interest, I would say that us pastors have to stop sacrificing those entrusted to us for the sake of our own egos. We have a tendency to corral people and jam things down their throats. Instead, we need to lead people to the oases in the desert and let them explore the landscape, walk in the water, and frolic in the pasture. Lambs don't have to be told to eat. When it's really good stuff, they indulge.

One thing that I'm going to try to do this year, as I start Crossways (a two-year survey of the Bible) next week, is to assist people in the art of making discoveries in their Bibles. I will do this by telling the story of the Bible rather than merely rehearsing doctrine.

I'll write more if I think of anything else!

4 comments:

Scott said...

Ground breaking...don't force it on them, just give them something they need and want. Wow! The Church will never buy it. It has so many other useless and shoddy things to sell...

bruced said...

That is a thoughtful and commendable approach to human interaction. It will be interesting to see if you can pull it off within an institution known for its subtle control and quiet manipulation.

;-)

Chris Ledgerwood said...

Well, I for one wouldn't mind being a member of your congregation! It would be a really long Sunday commute though.

Anonymous said...

And when you jam something down someones throat they choke!!! Feed them slowly and they get nourished.