22 September 2006

I'm Back

I just got back from yet another conference where all we did was eat and sit. We had some wonderful presentations about the pastor as evangelist and preacher, but I think I gained a few pounds. The conference center fed us very well.

There is a new development in my status as a circuit counselor. The District Board of Directors approved a realignment plan of the Chicagoland circuits (roughly, a circuit is a group of congregations that are in close proximity to one another), which would make 3 visitation and electoral circuits instead of the two we have presently. Pending approval of this plan I am now the Circuit Counselor Pro Tem of the South Chicago circuit. At the District Convention back in June I was elected the circuit counselor of the West Chicago circuit. The main feature for me in the realignment plan was that I and my congregation be placed in the Chicago South circuit. So, I can't be the counselor of the West circuit if I'm not in the West circuit!

The approval of the realignment rests in the hands of the president of Synod. If he approves the plan I will have to call a caucus of the South circuit congregations to do two things: 1) Elect a clergy and a lay delegate to next year's synodical convention, and 2) Decide to retain me as circuit counselor by attrition, or elect a different one.

If the plan is rejected, I will remain in my elected position as circuit counselor of the Chicago West circuit. I find out today what the president of synod decides.

3 comments:

bruced said...

Interesting... but what language was that?

Doug Hoag said...

It's the language of the institutional church. I thought God was not the author of confusion.

bruced said...

;-)